If we have heard of them, it is, without a doubt, thanks to our pets. Cats and dogs are usually the targets of these small insects, although ticks also like the blood of humans.
Plague can be a real problem for both our furry friends and us, and that is why it is important to know them well and know what to do with a tick plague or how to act against their bite. We tell you all about them.
The most common parasites
That’s right. Ticks are a type of external parasite belonging to the arachnid family, such as spiders and scorpions, which feeds on the blood of animals and humans, especially sheep, dogs, and rabbits, that is, animals with enough hair where they can remain hidden sucking and go unnoticed.
The latter manage to do it because its sting does not hurt, itch, or itches, so many times, we do not realize that we have it. Generally, they remain hidden in the bushes and weeds, face-up, with their legs up, waiting for some warm-blooded being to pass by her to catch her hair.
Its size varies from 3 millimeters to about 1 centimeter, depending on the sex, its state of maturity, and, above all, the amount of blood you have ingested from your tenant.
There are more than 800 different types of ticks, most of them harmless. However, some of these species can transmit different diseases. Therefore, a single copy is a danger to avoid, much more when we talk about tick pests.
A pest usually appears when there is more lush vegetation, for example, in summer after a period of heavy rains. In fact, he has warned of some plague in Spain that would affect cities and rural environments, although ticks always feel a predilection for ground floor houses with gardens, remember that there may also be pests in public parks or gardens, and of course, in the countryside.
Bites and Lyme disease
Usually, ticks hide between the dog’s hair to protect themselves while they bite and draw the animal’s blood. Therefore, we must check them often to see if they have them.
A tick infection in dogs can be very serious, so it is best to remove them as soon as we see them. Of course, it is not worth anyway to remove the tick, since if the head is removed, we do not cause any effect, but quite the opposite.
Therefore, generally, the best way is to remove them with specific tweezers of ticks or with tweezers, tighten on the body of the insect, and turn while it is extracted to remove the whole animal.
Once it has been removed, we must burn or crush the tick with some solid object to ensure that it has died, since many times the mistake is made of throwing them in the trash or down the drain, so that the tick can return.
The method is similar to that of the human being, although if we find a tick in our body, we have probably contracted Lyme disease :
- Saliva from ticks contains the Borrelia bacteria, responsible for Lyme disease.
- This infectious disease affects different organs, such as the skin, joints, and also the whole nervous system.
- Symptoms are difficult to classify but basically respond to serious discomfort that includes severe pain in the area, fever, joint or muscle aches, weakness, headache, swollen glands, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea in short, symptoms similar to those of the flu.
- There is a cure based on the use of antibiotics, which can also be prescribed as a preventive method if the tick has been installed for several days in the body.
- In addition to the dangerous Lyme disease, ticks can also transmit botanical fever, Cibola, or other less frequent ones.
- In the case of the dog, you should not have any reaction if you properly extract the tick, but if you notice any strange symptoms, consult your trusted veterinarian immediately.
What to do in case of a bite?
- First, do not apply any product on the skin that you use with any other insect.
- Remove the ticks you found, making sure you killed them.
- Disinfect the wound with alcohol.
- A few hours later, a small red rash will appear, which is the normal reaction to the tick’s saliva.
- However, you should consult your doctor if you think you have Lyme disease or have some of the symptoms listed above. In any case, to make sure, visit your doctor if the stain does not disappear or rapidly spreads to other areas of the body.
How to prevent tick bites
Of course, now that you know all this information, prevention is much better than cure. Therefore, we recommend that during your stays or walks in the forest, the field or areas with bushes and fodder, wear long pants and closed shoes and if time permits, also long sleeves.
Otherwise, you can use tick repellent to apply it to the areas of the skin that are discovered but always reading the leaflet first to avoid using it in areas where you can have a toxic reaction.
At home, it is best to mow the lawn regularly and check children and pets regularly.
How to remove ticks
- Of course, cleanliness is essential. Keep your garden clean and trimmed so that ticks don’t want to stay long.
- There are numerous products for disposal, such as liquid for ticks, venom for ticks, or insecticide for ticks. The most effective and at the same time, less toxic are those that contain the principle of pyrethrins. To fumigate the garden, prevent pets and children from being present during the following hours, and use a mixture with water in a proportion of 1 cubic centimeter of product per liter of water.
- In dogs, try to keep hair clean and short, and if you see that you have an infection or more copies of the desired ones, there are products with venom for ticks in dogs. They are sold in spray, in liquid, or even in shampoo. It is best to consult your veterinarian since it depends on the age and type of dog; there are more or less effective things. We recommend that you first remove them manually and then use the product.
- If you prefer home remedies to eliminate ticks, try a natural repellent based on rosemary and cinnamon. Mix about 7-10 drops of each essential oil in a jar and spray it on the usual areas, either the dog’s hair or your own skin before going for a walk. Something similar happens with the essential oil of rose geranium. On the other hand, you can boil lemon and orange peel and use water as a repellent.